Tour Operators and Travel Agencies Climate Change Question 3
<< Back to the Tour Operators and Travel Agencies question list.
Previous: Tour Operators and Travel Agencies Climate Change Question 2.
Next: Tour Operators and Travel Agencies Climate Change Question 4.
Has the brand (company) already reduced or compensated the overall carbon footprint of its travel products by at least 5% in the last 5 years?
Dutch version: Heeft het merk (bedrijf) de overall 'CO2 voetafdruk' als gevolg van de verkochte reisproducten in de afgelopen 5 jaren al gereduceerd of gecompenseerd met minimaal 5%?
German version: Hat der Markenhersteller in den vergangenen 5 Jahren die CO2-Bilanz der Flugreisen / -transporte um mind. 5% reduziert oder kompensiert?
References and Guidelines
For references, see Tour Operators and Travel Agencies Climate Change Question 2, and possible ways to reduce carbon emissions of the products sold.
Please note that for carbon compensation the guidelines as described in Generic Carbon Emissions Question 3 are applicable.
A ‘Yes’ is applicable when:
- Companies publish the annual carbon footprint of the products sold (see previous question) and shows a reduction of at least 5%.
The 5% reduction is calculated relative to the highest score from the past 5 years before the ‘year of reduction’.
The ‘year of reduction’ is the most recent year for which the footprint is available. Note that this footprint should not be older than 2.5 years. I.e., to find the oldest eligible year of reduction, count back 18 months. That is the oldest year of reduction. E.g., if it is now January 2012, 18 months earlier it was July 2009. Therefore, the year of reduction cannot be before 2009. But if it is now July 2012, 18 months ago it was January 2010. Therefore, the year of reduction cannot be before 2010).
Also note that we only look at absolute carbon footprints – and not -yet- at intensity-based carbon footprints.
- [Brand] has published its carbon footprint of all sold (air) transport, and has reduced this amount by [..]% from [..YR] to [..YR](see page [..]).
- [Brand] publicly reports its carbon footprint of all sold (air) transport on the CDP website. In [..YR], this was equal to [..] metric tons of CO2eq/yr, compared to [..] metric tons of CO2eq/yr in [..YR]. This represents a [...]% reduction.
- [Brand] has published its carbon footprint of all sold air transport, but has only reduced this amount by [..]% from [..YR] to [..YR].
- [Brand] claims its carbon footprint of sold products has been reduced by [..]% between [..YR] and [..YR]. However, [Brand] does not publicly provide the details of this carbon footprint (or where to find it) on its website.
- [Brand] does not communicate its carbon footprint on its website.
- [Brand] has published its carbon footprint on its website, but only for their own operations and not for sold products, at least covering all sold (air) transport.