Chocolate Environmental Policy Question 2
Has the brand (company) publicly communicated the commitment to use 100% of certified cocoa by 2020?
Dutch Question: Heeft het merk (bedrijf) zich publiekelijk gecommiteerd aan het doel om in 2020 voor 100% gecertificeerde cacao te gebruiken?
German Question: Verpflichtet sich der Markenhersteller, um ab 2020 zu 100% umweltzertifizierten Kakao zu verarbeiten?
As the first reference, see the Supermarket Chains Labour Conditions Question 3 where we have a similar question, but then for supermarket chains. Instead of 2015 we here ask for 2020 for brands commitment to have 100% of cocoa certified as sustainable. The Dutch chocolate sector has initiated and signed a collective commitment on March 4th, 2010 stating that 100% of the cocoa will be purchased from sustainable sources by 2025. As this concerns a whole sector, this commitment can be considered as conservative. More ambitious commitments comes e.g. from Mars Company, stating that all their purchased cocoa should be certified by 2020.
A ‘Yes’ is applicable when
- The brand (company) publishes clearly that it has signed the commitment and that it has a policy on how to reach this goal.
- The brand already uses cocoa which comes from 100% sustainable sources. Eligible sustainable sources are e.g.: Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance and Utz Certified.
- The brand does not make use of certifications such as Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance or Utz, but has its own program on sustainable cocoa production, and already purchases cocoa that is covered by this program. Note that this own program needs independent review before accepted and eligible to answer this question with a 'yes'.
A ‘No’ is applicable when
- The brand (company) has not published that it has signed the commitment.
A ‘?’ is applicable when
- The brand (company) has signed the commitment.
- The brand [company] has signed the commitment on using 100% sustainable cocoa in 2020
- The brand [company] already uses cocoa which comes from 100% sustainable sources, according to [insert certification name]
- The brand [company] already uses cocoa which comes from 100% sustainable sources, by using its own sustainability program named [insert name cocoa program].
- The brand [company] has not signed the commitment.
- [Brand] does not communicate on its website whether it has signed the commitment or not. Sustainability information should be easily accessible for consumers to make responsible choices.