Generic Fashion - Ecology Question 27
Does the brand have a clear and effective policy to avoid the use of leather that originates from cattle farms in deforestated Amazone areas?
NL: Heeft het merk een effectief beleid om leer te vermijden dat afkomstig is van koeien uit ontboste gebieden in de Amazone?
DE: Setzt der Markenhersteller Maßnahmen um, um den Bezug von Leder von Rinderfarmen aus (kahlgeschlagenen) Amazonasgebieten zu vermeiden?
According to Greenpeace the cattle sector in the Brazilian Amazon is the largest driver of deforestation in the world, responsible for one in every eight hectares destroyed globally. In 2009 Greenpeace campaigned to convince the footwear industry not to buy leather from Amazon destruction. Major shoe companies like Adidas, Nike, Timberland, Clarks, Geox and Timberland have committed to this call, later followed by leaders in the Brazilian cattle industry.
With this question we ask footwear brands to exclude leather from rainforest destruction in their collections.
• [Brand] has published a statement saying that "all Brazilian leather suppliers are required to publicly commit to supporting a moratorium on any further cattle expansion into the Amazon. This commitment includes implementation of a traceability policy and monitoring to ensure adherence to these principles". [Brand] also reports on the progress of implementing this policy.
• [Brand] communicates that tanneries using Brazilian hides are all members of the LWG traceability project which ensures that each hide can be traced back to registered farms that are not contributing to amazon deforestation.
• [Brand] states that although it is very hard to control the leather supply chain, that no the leather is sourced from cattle farms in the Amazon region.
• [Brand] states that no the leather is sourced from cattle farms in the Amazon region.
• [Brand] does not make use of leather for its products at all.
• [Brand] states explicitly not to have a policy to prevent rainforest destruction caused by leather production.
• [Brand] has published a statement saying that "all Brazilian leather suppliers are required to publicly commit to supporting a moratorium on any further cattle expansion into the Amazon. This commitment includes implementation of a traceability policy and monitoring to ensure adherence to these principles." However, there is no clear report on the progress or outcome of this policy.
• [Brand] does not openly communicate a policy to prevent the destruction of rainforest caused by cattle farm expansion for meat and leather production.
• [Brand] does not clearly communicate if sourcing leather originating from cattle farms in deforested Amazon areas is avoided.
-* You can pick the topic that applies to 'your' brand.
Note: when linking to a downloadable source document, please refer to the page(s) where to find the respective information with: (see link, page [..]).
Optional, but only for ? Answers, feel free to write at the end of a remark: Sustainability information should be easily accessible for consumers to make responsible choices.