Retailer Ecology Question 6
Does the brand (company) have a clear target to phase out PVC in their products, and has the brand already achieved a PVC phase out level of more than 90%?
NL: Heeft het merk de doelstelling om alle PVC uit de producten uit te bannen, en heeft het merk dit al doorgevoerd voor tenminste 90% van alle verkochte schoenen?
DE: Hat sich der Markenhersteller ein klares Ziel gesetzt, um alle PVC-Arten aus den Produkten zu eliminieren? Sind die Produkte der Marke mindestens zu 90% frei von PVC?
According to Greenpeace, Polyvinyl chloride (PVC or vinyl) is the most damaging plastic to human health and the environment. Greenpeace advocates in the electronics sector for a total phase out of PVC, see also our Electronics Environmental Policy Question 1. In 2001 Greenpeace USA published a footwear brand rating, to indicate which brands are best phasing out PVC from their footwear products. Several global brands like Nike, Puma and Adidas were praised for having clear and effective policies. At time of writing, several brands report on the use of PVC. Brands like Nike and Puma mention almost a total phase out (except for screen print ink), Timberland reports that 95% of products are PVC-free.
Regarding the best practice (total phaseout), in this question we have defined an arbitrary but realistic level of 90% phase out. A ‘Yes’ goes to the companies that have a clear and effective plan to phase out PVC in their products, and has already achieved more than 90% PVC-free products.
• [Brand] reports a clear target to phase out PVC in all of their products, and has already achieved more than 90%, [PVC-free products / phaseout](see link/page).
• [Brand] does explicitly reports not to have a plan to phase out PVC in their products.
• [Brand] reports a phase out plan, but the current phase out level is [%], which is below 90%.(see link/page).
• [Brand] does report about having a plan to phase out PVC in their products, but no exact percentage on the current status is reported, (see link/page)
• [Brand] does not report about having a plan to phase out PVC in their products. Sustainability information should be easily accessible to enable consumers to make more responsible choices.