Supermarket Chains Ecology Question 1
Is the rate of organic (food) sales to the total (food) turnover at least more than 1,5%?
Dutch version: Ligt de verhouding in omzet van biologische (food) producten en totale (food) omzet boven de 1,5%?
German version: Wird im Lebensmittelbereich der Marke mehr als 1,5% des Gesamtumsatzes durch den Verkauf umweltzertifizierter Produkte erzielt?
Organic farming and livestock keeping is in many ways environmental and animal friendlier than conventional farming. Organic farming excludes or strictly limits the use of synthetic fertilizers, chemicals, plant growth regulators such as hormones, livestock antibiotics, food additives, and genetically modified organisms. For this reason, organic products are believed to be healthier for consumers.
In a countries like the Netherlands or Germany, supermarkets are responsible for the majority of the turnover of organic products. As there are premium prices for organic products, supermarkets are still very hesitantly growing their organic sales, uneasily varying with prices, product ranges, bargains, packaging, marketing strategies and et cetera. For the Netherlands, the marketshare of organic food for the first half of 2012 was 2.5% .
To measure the real performances of supermarkets, the best way is to compare the organic (food) products turnover to the total (food) turnover. However, still this is not a common reporting practice for the Dutch or German supermarket chains, where in general, CSR reporting with concrete numbers is pretty uncommon.
Best practices as found in the supermarket sector:
- Turnover may be defined both in terms of turnover and number of products sold.
- Supermarket chains may offer a substantial share of non-food products. In that case it is proper to compare the organic food to the total food turnover.
- In [Year], [...] % of total food sales value was represented by organic food.
- In [Year], [...] % of total food sales value was represented by organic food, which is not sufficient.
- [Brand] does not communicate any information on its total food sales value represented by organic food.
-* You can pick the topic that applies to 'your' brand.